Quicky! The 5- 1 minute stress relievers
Tell us once to relax and not stress. Trust me, we Myasthenics might be smiling our droopy smile but would be thinking in our heads to smash yours!!!
It’s like telling:
- A non-swimmer to relax….just float. Hello, we can’t. We don’t know how to float.
- A non-biker to chill…just balance. Hello, we can’t. We don’t know how to balance.
Tell me if it happens with you too? There is so much clutter in my head because I want to do so many things in a day or a weekend, I end up with an unachievable to-do list, which on non-accomplishment gives me so much angst that I end up even more frustrated and full of anxiety and panic. And it’s not that someone has put a gun next to my head if I did not complete tasks. These are all my self-made unnecessary work lists that I want to do, that I challenge myself to do.
My doctors, my healers, my yoga guru, psychoanalyst, best friend, worst friend, my family, there is none who hasn’t asked me to chill and relax and take life at a slower pace. Ideally, I know that is what should be done, but never end up doing.
And when the stress levels hit the roof and I can feel pulse racing and panic attacking, I nowadays manage to do one of the following to bring down the tension. You must try them too, my friend. 1 minute each. That’s it. All of them work.
- For a minute. Stand straight. Then bend forward waist down. Hands hanging towards the floor in complete surrender. Head down. Feel the gush of blood on the face. Now sway left to right and right to left, moving only the body waist upwards. Sway, swing. Enjoy the movement. Apparently, this yoga movement elevates the mood almost instantly, like the 2 minute noodle.
2. For a minute. Breathe. This is not the normal breathing you and I do (and do it wrong) this is diaphragm breathing. Breathe such that with the inhalation the diaphragm moves up and with exhalation from the mouth, the diaphragm goes down…and you too LET GO of the physical and mental pressure.
4. For a minute. Walk. Walk up to that colleague and ask latest in their love life. Trust me listening to their story, you shall be counting your blessings! Have complete faith, it shall take a load of stress off your shoulders! In less than a minute you would be back at your desk, counting your blessings.
5. For a minute. Pump up the volume. With or without headphones, listen to the latest and/or your favorite track. Fast, slow, happy, melancholy (err….?!), romantic, fusion, metal, jazz, whatever. Yes 1 minute shall do because even after switching off the system, the song shall continue playing in your head. This always works for me.
Sharing with you the track that played atleast thrice a day in my head till sometime ago. A song from a delightful hindi movie, Kapoor and Sons. Chul.
There is however, one thing about stress that people have advised but I have never managed to learn. Passing it on to you if it helps….
In life you should never take stress.
You should always give it.