Parsley ki chutney?
Pesto Sauce, I never made.
Parsley tea I never ventured closed to.
However, you do know that Parsley has some amazing health benefits and uses. And that irked me more.
The only time I got parsley was when I used to make pasta and garlic bread for my kiddo. From the supermarket I would get a 100 gms packet of those fresh almost minty leaves of which I would use only a few sprigs. The rest would die a slow death in the refrigerator, turning a pale yellow from a sprightly green over the days. I had no idea what to do with them.
My heart used to break, not knowing any other Parsley recipe that would be accepted with open arms in the family. Till that one day when my innovative brain thought, what the heck, it’s a wonderful green leaf. Why not Indianise it?
And there with just the basic 5 ingredients, made Parsley ki Chutney!
The hot, spicy and tangy Parsley chutney has the benefits of Calcium, iron, fibre and Vitamin C!
The ingredients are the same as some of the chutneys we make in the Andhra and Karnataka cuisines. You can apply this Parsley recipe for an Indianised chutney to other greens like coriander or Mint. Ideally, it should be ground on a grindstone as seen below. However, a mixer grinder shall do the work.
Chutney in Telugu is called Pachadi.
It is equally important for me to educate you on how to eat Parsley chutney, the traditional Andhra way 🙂
THE PROPER ANDHRA WAY TO EAT PARSLEY PACHADI/CHUTNEY:
- Take steaming hot white rice on your plate.
- Put a tsp of Parsley chutney/pachadi on top.
- Compulsory: a huge dollop of pure ghee to be poured on the rice and chutney
- Mix well with fingers or spoon
- Peel and cut an onion into 4 pcs
- Take one bite of the rice-chutney mix and bite into the crunchy, crisp onion!!!!
The benefits of Parsley are amazing! Why? Simply because:
- It helps prevent Cancer: Apparently just a 100 gms of parsley is loaded with myricetin. Great to prevent skin cancer.
- Its got something called Apigenin that has helped many in decreasing the size of tumours, especially breast cancer. This has been under study at the University of Missouri.
- Helps prevent Diabetes
- Is Anti-Inflammatory
- Is high on Chlorophyll
- Is full of Vit K: 10 sprigs of Parsley gives you enough Vit K which is excellent for Bones, especially after a bone fracture
- Helps improve Calcium absorption
- A fantastic source of Vit C & Vit A
- Helps reducing urinary excretion of calcium
- Great for Asthma
- Super for Osteoarthritis
- Fantastic for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Splendid for the heart
Now for a person with an auto-immune disorder like Myasthenia Gravis (now don’t ask what is Myasthenia Gravis again, please!) who is on heavy duty steroids Parsley benefits. It is a good option since Calcium supplements need to be absorbed in the system.
Having said that, if someone is on a blood thinner then eating parsley may not be a great idea.
But yes, for overall health, add it to your juices, salads, sandwiches, chutney….whatever…just don’t let it dehydrate in your refrigerator, like I did for years.
Sharing a video and the recipe of the easiest Parsley chutney in the world.
Presenting PARSLEY KI CHUTNEY!
Parsley 100 gms
Peeled Garlic Pods 5
Green Chillies 4 or 5
Salt to taste and juice of half a lemon
If you do try this quick, easy, full of Vit K and A recipe of Parsley Chutney, click a pic and put it here. I would be thrilled that you are taking your health seriously!!!
Shall be sharing such healthy and promise….tasty recipes in the blogs to come.
- Preparation Time: 00:05
- Cook Time: 00:10
- Cuisine: Indian
- Servings: 2
- Parsley 100 gms
- Peeled Garlic Pods 5
- Green Chillies 4 or 5
- Salt as per taste
- Juice of half a Lemon
- 1Combine all ingredients except the juice of lemon.
- 2Make a paste of it either in the mixer grinder or on a grindstone the traditional way for a better taste.
- 3Add the lemon juice and grind a little more.
- 4Serve with hot rice and ghee or with dosa.